Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Really bad Tuesday

So, today was an incredibly rough day at work. The company I work for is in the middle of laying off 10% of it's workforce nationwide. Over 4,000 employees nationwide, now out of jobs. We've known these layoffs were coming for about a month.

The particular paper I work for was told that originally they were going to layoff 40 people, which is 10% of our staff. Today, which was the start of the layoffs, we found out it was not 40 people, but 67!!! I came back from being out in the field all day to find out that I still had my job, which I am extremely grateful for.

However, the main product that I sell in my territory is going to be discontinued at the end of this month, four of the seven editorial staff from our remote office were let go, our Sales Coordinator took the voluntary layoff, AND they let the other Sales Rep in our remote office go. I knew the Sales Coordinator took the voluntary layoff, I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea that the other layoffs were going to happen in our office. This puts our remote office at HALF the staff it had this morning.

Needless to say, I'm a bit off today. I've been incredibly emotional most of the afternoon and evening. I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone who was laid off today except one person, and I know the layoffs aren't over yet...we still have tomorrow to get through. At this point, I know that I am not getting laid off, but I know that I am now the only Sales Rep for the remote office with a HUGE territory to service. I also know if we do not make our main product successful, the rest of the office will most likely be on the next chopping block, because let's face it, our economy and employment situation is not going to be any better any time soon.

AND I found out my grandma on my dad's side got into a bad car accident this morning and broke her back. She's in a rehabilitation hospital in Sacramento right now, and I think I may be going to visit her this weekend. From what I understand, she still has sensation in her all of her body, but she is in immense pain and is completely doped up on morphine. In a couple of days she is going to be fit for a back brace. Thats about all the information I have right now. I'm hoping to have more info tomorrow.

To top off my day, I thought the possibility of being pregnant was out of the picture, but I'm not sure it is (hence the over emotionalness of the day), so I'm dealing with that possibility on top of the new responsibilities at work. Yes, I know I just posted how I want it to happen asap and how impatient I am for it, but with the day I had today, it would really just be too much for me to handle right now.

Adam just walked through the door with ice cream, so I am going to go indulge...and tomorrow is a new day.


Jerry and Suzy said...

Hang in there, Nee! Congratulations on still being on board at this point. You worked so hard and were so successful in your first months there that, if anyone stays it should be you. Tell 'em that, but don't add "So there!" Don't even say "Nyaaah!"

How terrible for Sharon! Yes, please do go visit her. And send greetings from us.

Love from ~G~r~a~m~m~a~ and Papa

template by suckmylolly.com - header image by Martin Walls