Monday, August 18, 2008

Rude People

Today I stopped in on a few businesses in my territory to introduce myself and find out what kind of marketing/advertising they do and discuss possible solutions that RGJ can offer. Instead of politely telling me they weren't interested, they decided to be incredibly rude about it.

Part of being a sales person is to have a thick skin, so I don't take it personally when people tell me they aren't interested. In fact, I appreciate them not wasting my time by leading me on. It doesn't even bother me or hurt my feelings that these people were rude. However, as a CONSUMER, I don't plan on doing business with these people. It's too bad, too, since they carry awesome products and I'm sure I would have spent a good deal of money with them over the next few years. I don't do business with rude people, and I don't recommend rude businesses to my friends and family...quite the opposite, actually.

So, if you are a business owner, here is some advice...It's good to remember that sales people:

1. are consumers, too, and can be your best customer. I have lunch at a client's restaurant several times a week because their food is amazing, I like patronizing local, non-chain restaurants/businesses, and she and her husband are so incredibly nice.

2. know a lot of people and can bring in business. Because my client and her husband are so incredibly nice (and their food is so dang good), I recommend them to EVERYONE! I've taken their food to business lunches, and have recommended their catering services to friends.

3. know a lot of people and can discourage business. Sales people get around and meet A LOT of people, especially in a small town. If you have horrible service, I guarantee I'm going to discourage everyone I know from spending their hard-earned money with you.

4. are knocking on the doors of your competitors. If they are polite, whether they say "no thanks" or "I'm listening," guess who I'm going to choose to do my business with? That's right, your competition.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com - header image by Martin Walls